Immigration Law FAQs


What is the difference between citizenship and naturalization?

Under the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States, both citizens and naturalized individuals have the same rights and privileges in the United States. However, citizenship pertains to those born in the United States or abroad if both parents are citizens, while naturalization is a process that occurs after birth.

Square Law Group can assist you and answer any questions for those in the process or considering naturalization.

What type of visa do I need if I want to visit the United States?

If you are a foreign national that wishes to visit or make a temporary stay in the United States, there are various visas that you may apply for. These visas can only be used for a certain amount and are called non-immigrant visas. Some of the most common types of non-immigrant visas include a student visa, a business investors visa, and a travel visa.

How can I apply to become a permanent U.S. resident?

There are a variety of visas you can apply for if you wish to immigrate permanently to the United States. The type and accessibility of one of these visas depends on your current situation and status.

Some of these permanent resident visas include the fiancee visa (for immigrants engaged to a United States citizen), the family visa (for immigrants related to a United States Citizen and wish to move with them), and the work visa (for immigrants that have a specific skill set and want to contribute themselves as a commodity to the United States workforce).

Can I be deported as a “public charge” if I apply for government benefits?

A “public charge” is an immigrant that relies on government assistance because they cannot support themselves through employment, family, or even assets. As a public charge, an individual is subject to deportation. Government benefits such as WIC, food stamps, Medicaid, and CHIP are not part of the list of benefits allowed to an immigrant.

If you rely on some type of government assistance or wish to apply for benefits but fear deportation, seek expert legal guidance from the knowledgeable immigration attorneys at Square Law Group.

Is there anything I can do to prevent being deported if I receive an order for deportation?

If you receive an order for deportation you should immediately get in contact with an immigration attorney from Square Law Group. We will work closely with you to build a defense against your deportation and help resolve conflicts that emerge.